Monday, March 14, 2016

Ambush Bug

I have been waiting to post this one because I needed to ID this bug. Thanks to a FB friend, I finally have it. It's a Jagged Ambush Bug.
A couple of weeks ago, I saw something strange. I little skipper (type of small, fast flying butterfly) just sitting still on my Butterfly Bush. It sat still long enough for me to get a macro pic of it. That's when I really began to wonder if it was dead. When I touched it, it moved a bit. I tried to get it off of the flower, but it seemed stuck. I pulled it off. Then, to my surprise, I found that it had not been 'stuck', but caught, by this little guy. They tuck themselves into flowers and wait to ambush an unsuspecting insect. It has forelimbs similar to a Praying Mantis, and being part of the group of bugs known as Assassin bugs, it injects the prey with a toxin that causes paralysis, and liquifies it for easier consumption. It's prey are butterflies, bees, and even wasps!
It flew away after I got it's picture.
Remember to 'like' and 'share' the love of nature!




Skipper



Ambush Bug tucked amongst Butterfly Bush florets



Ambush Bug on my finger



Back of the Ambush Bug



















No comments:

Post a Comment