Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Nothing like a walk in the woods for an attitude adjustment :)

I have 4 beautiful granddaughters. On FB, I only refer to them as #1,2,3&4. Yesterday, it was #2's 8th birthday. She especially loves that extra attention, much to the annoyance of her older sister. Being the oldest of 5 myself, I totally get it. I decided that the evenings events would go smoother if I removed #1 from that waiting time before dinner. So, I took her over to Churchill Woods Forest Preserve. As soon as she found that rabbit skull, her whole demeanor changed to one of excitement!
It's still very early Spring, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a lot to see!



We had barely stepped into the woods when her young eye spotted this rabbit skull.



Mosses are starting to green up and sprout sporangia that contain the spores that grow new moss.



More sporangia, but these are a beautiful red.



Moss



Mushrooms growing on a tree.



Fungus and lichens



Possibly the beginning of Lion's Mane mushroom



The smooth, white bark of the Sycamore tree trunk



Close up of the Sycamore



Love how these mushrooms are fringed



We spotted 5 deer in this yard that backs up to the Forest Preserve



Evidence of the resident beaver
















No comments:

Post a Comment