Monday, March 14, 2016

Collecting Milkweed Seeds

The Milkweed pods are starting to crack open, so it's time to start harvesting seeds. It's far easier to do it before they have completely dried and have become uncontrollable fluff. I'm working on my 2nd 5 gallon bucket right now. I have about the same amount still on the stalks, but I will let that get fluffy for the grandkids, and their friends blow along an area that would be perfect for milkweed. I love how the seeds look like fish scales.
Milkweed seeds need to go through a process called 'stratification'. The outer hull is tough, and needs to be compromised by repeated freezing and thawing. This naturally occurs in the Spring. If you want to try starting plants indoors, alternate putting them in the freezer, then refrigerator for about 5, or so days. I have done it longer, only because I forgot about them. Still worked!
If you would like some seeds, let me know. I am also giving a lot to Pioneer Feed in Villa Park to distribute for free to whomever would like some.
Edit: Almost finished with my 3rd 5 gallon bucket! Remember to 'like' and 'share' the love of nature!



























No comments:

Post a Comment