Monday, March 21, 2016

Beginning Spring clean up

Today, the weather was sunny, yet still a little on the cool side. Which, is perfect for working in the yard. It's time to start prepping my garden for planting. In the Fall, I usually make a large brush pile that I place on top of my garden. I put it there for extra shelter for the birds during the Winter. But, now it's about time to cut it up, and stack it for next Winter's kindling, and firewood. I have always enjoyed manual labor, but having a small electric chainsaw sure does help. For the life of me, I can never start anything that requires a gas/oil mix. I worked for a few hours, until a male sparrow flew in front of me, dived down into the remaining pile, and chattered at me. I guess his room is paid up for another day or two. So, I picked up my tools and quit for the day.
Once, everything was in order, I did a walk around the yard to see what surprises I could find. Here is what I found today.




Brush pile that needs to be cut and stacked.




Rhubarb! I can't wait to make Strawberry Rhubarb pie!



A Johnny Jump Up is coming back.





Chionodoxa, Glory of the Snow




Striped Squill, Puschkinia scilloides libanotic. These have naturalized throughout my yard. It's a great first flower for those early bird pollinators.



Opened blossoms of Striped Squill.




Old stump that I had picked off a curb years ago, has finally succumbed to nature.



This lilac bud looked like a little tree frog to me. Tell me you can't see it smile emoticon



Day lilies coming up.



Lungwort starting to grow.



I love Scilla (Siberian Squill). Once it takes hold, it will quickly spread out from the garden and into your lawn. Some old gardens by us look like a blue river pops up in their yards each Spring. The flowers are usually done about the same time that the yard needs mowing for the first time each year.



Scilla's flowers point downwards



I picked this one, and turned it over so you could see it.



































No comments:

Post a Comment